"Guide to Installation" my foot!

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 01:59:01 2003

shore@fringenet.net wrote:

> How would one go about doing this? To the best of my knowledge, yum is
> not installed by default on YDL 2.3, and has some requirements that
> make installing it a pain. Could someone please provide for me and
> others a step-by-step guide to upgrading from YDL 2.3 to 3.0, INCLUDING
> installing yum or any other programs necessary? I've seen this question
> come up a number of times, and not everyone knows that you can't use
> apt or yup anymore, but that yum is (for now) the way to go. Why do I
> get the sense that to upgrade to 3.1, we'll need to use apy, and yum
> will no longer work? Thanks!

I don't knw. However, I found a web page at Duke Univeristy where
someone is working on yum for RedHat Linux. So I installed it and
update a whole bunch of rh 9 systems using it. I assume that it would
upgrade YDL linux if you got the correct yum.conf file, but since the
yum included in YDL 3.0 works so well, I did not bother.

http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/

Enclosed is my yum.conf. You should be able to use the Duke package with this
yum.conf and update/upgrade your 2.3 system.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?