hfs access problems

George Wilkens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 11:42:01 2003

>> mount -t hfs /dev/hda10 /mnt/macos
>>
>> Now you might change the owner priviliges of /mnt/macos to your user
>> account:
>>
>> chown -R /mnt/macos
>
> I just went through this very thing and here's the only way I could
> figure out to solve it.  When you mount the partition, mount it > thusly:
>
> mount -t hfs -o umask=000 /dev/hda10 /mnt/macos
>
> The fstab entry would look something like this:
>
> /dev/hda10          /mnt/macos          hfs          umask=000
>  1  2

My solution was to use the "user" option to mount. In my /etc/fstab I
have the following:

/dev/hdb10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user    0 0

An ordinary user can then "mount /mnt/macos" and "umount /mnt/macos".
Even better, I created a hard disk icon on my desktop that
automatically mounts the partition when I click on it. Just right-click
on the desktop and pick "Create New -> Hard Disc...".

Aloha, George Wilkens