hfs access problems

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 12:17:01 2003

> My solution was to use the "user" option to mount. In my /etc/fstab I
> have the following:
>
> /dev/hdb10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user    0 0
>
> An ordinary user can then "mount /mnt/macos" and "umount /mnt/macos".
> Even better, I created a hard disk icon on my desktop that
> automatically mounts the partition when I click on it. Just right-click
> on the desktop and pick "Create New -> Hard Disc...".

Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work too well if you're sharing that
filesystem over a network, e.g. using netatalk like I do.  Only one user at a
time, i.e. the user who has the filesystem mounted, can get access to it.  With
the umask approach, network access to the filesystem can be as open or closed
as you want to make it.

Alan Somers