SNMP AUTH?

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 10:21:01 2003

    Duane> I am running YDL 2.2 (I know I need to upgrade). I am also
    Duane> running sendmail, but I would like to enable SNMP AUTH so
    Duane> that I can use sendmail from outside of my network safely.

    Duane> I have not been able to find a build of sendmail that has
    Duane> SNMP AUTH enabled. Rebuilding sendmail sounds like a total
    Duane> nightmare, so I would rather find an excepted distribution.

I believe you mean SMTP AUTH, SNMP AUTH is an entirely different
thing. You might try postfix (I think www.postfix.org, but freshmeat
can find it for sure). It apparently supports SASL authentication for
it's server/client. I haven't used it though, and you would have to
build the package and read the README_FILES/SASL_README for
directions.

Another option is to use ssh port forwarding. Forward your local smtp
port to your server's smtp port. It basically ends up behaving like
your sending mail locally from your server. I've done this with Mac OS
(8 or 9 with a third part ssh client, although OS X should work even
easier) before and with Linux with no problems.

Another option is to just send mail from your local machine. I
generally do this with my notebook (ydl). Send outgoing mail from my
notebook and receive incoming at the server I use.

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com