SMTP AUTH (was SNMP AUTH?)

Duane Murphy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 11:14:01 2003

--- At Thu, 29 May 2003 09:22:04 -0700, Michael Baer wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I have SNMP on the brain.

Yes, I meant SMTP AUTH

>    Duane> I am running YDL 2.2 (I know I need to upgrade). I am also
>    Duane> running sendmail, but I would like to enable SNMP AUTH so
>    Duane> that I can use sendmail from outside of my network safely.
>
>    Duane> I have not been able to find a build of sendmail that has
>    Duane> SNMP AUTH enabled. Rebuilding sendmail sounds like a total
>    Duane> nightmare, so I would rather find an excepted distribution.
>
>I believe you mean SMTP AUTH, SNMP AUTH is an entirely different
>thing. You might try postfix (I think www.postfix.org, but freshmeat
>can find it for sure). It apparently supports SASL authentication for
>it's server/client. I haven't used it though, and you would have to
>build the package and read the README_FILES/SASL_README for
>directions.

Is postfix a replacement for sendmail or just an add on.

>Another option is to use ssh port forwarding. Forward your local smtp
>port to your server's smtp port. It basically ends up behaving like
>your sending mail locally from your server. I've done this with Mac OS
>(8 or 9 with a third part ssh client, although OS X should work even
>easier) before and with Linux with no problems.

What ssh did you use for 9? I havent been able to find one that I was
pleased with.

>Another option is to just send mail from your local machine. I
>generally do this with my notebook (ydl). Send outgoing mail from my
>notebook and receive incoming at the server I use.

I'm still running OS 9 on a PowerBook. Maybe when I transition to OS X. :-)

Thanks,
 ...Duane