SMTP AUTH (was SNMP AUTH?)

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 12:05:01 2003

    Duane> --- At Thu, 29 May 2003 09:22:04 -0700, Michael Baer wrote:
    Duane> Thanks for the clarification Mike. I have SNMP on the
    Duane> brain.

    Duane> Yes, I meant SMTP AUTH

    Duane> I am running YDL 2.2 (I know I need to upgrade). I am also
    Duane> running sendmail, but I would like to enable SNMP AUTH so
    Duane> that I can use sendmail from outside of my network safely.
    >>
    Duane> I have not been able to find a build of sendmail that has
    Duane> SNMP AUTH enabled. Rebuilding sendmail sounds like a total
    Duane> nightmare, so I would rather find an excepted distribution.
    >>
    >> I believe you mean SMTP AUTH, SNMP AUTH is an entirely
    >> different thing. You might try postfix (I think
    >> www.postfix.org, but freshmeat can find it for sure). It
    >> apparently supports SASL authentication for it's
    >> server/client. I haven't used it though, and you would have to
    >> build the package and read the README_FILES/SASL_README for
    >> directions.

    Duane> Is postfix a replacement for sendmail or just an add on.

It's a replacement for sendmail. It can be used without replacing
sendmail to just send mail with for example. I think it can be used to
send and receive mail without replacing sendmail using a virtual
interface or something. I'm not sure exactly why someone would want to
do this. I've just used it as a sendmail replacement.

I talked to some friends who I thought would have a clue when I wanted
to setup a mail server (I had none) and they suggested postfix for its
ease of configuration and its security. Once I set up postfix, I went
and looked at some sendmail configuration files. After my screaming
stopped and I uncurled from the fetal position, I stayed away from
sendmail :). I would assume that sendmail has more flexibility than
postfix, but postfix seems to be very configurable and my mail server
needs are pretty simple.

    >> Another option is to use ssh port forwarding. Forward your
    >> local smtp port to your server's smtp port. It basically ends
    >> up behaving like your sending mail locally from your
    >> server. I've done this with Mac OS (8 or 9 with a third part
    >> ssh client, although OS X should work even easier) before and
    >> with Linux with no problems.

    Duane> What ssh did you use for 9? I havent been able to find one
    Duane> that I was pleased with.

I used 'F-Secure SSH'. I don't remember being particularly happy with
it, but it did work. I also only needed to use it once or twice for
about a week each time (stuck behind a firewall), so I used the free
30 day trial version. The version I used is about 6 years old now.

    >> Another option is to just send mail from your local machine. I
    >> generally do this with my notebook (ydl). Send outgoing mail
    >> from my notebook and receive incoming at the server I use.

    Duane> I'm still running OS 9 on a PowerBook. Maybe when I
    Duane> transition to OS X. :-)

OS X should certainly make mail problems easier.

Another thing I did later on that might work for you involved running
mac-on-linux. I was using Eudora in the Mac OS and set up the ssh port
forwarding within linux. I could send mail from Mac OS (running MOL)
either using the mail server within linux on that notebook or by using
ssh within linux to forward to a different server.

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com