YellowDog 3.0 on IBM RS/6000 7248 43P-133

Ingvar Hagelund yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 12:58:01 2003

Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> writes:

> On 29 May 2003, Ingvar Hagelund wrote:
> >IBM PPS Model 7248 (E)
>
>  That's awesome. I just got my hands on an RS6000 43P-140 and was hoping
> to do this soon. How hard was this install? Did you have to do anything
> special?

Installed 2.3, and did a dist-upgrade. Had a little fight with rpm to
get dist-upgrade to go, but it's doable. Details will be found in the
upcoming version of the 7248-howto.

Installation of 2.3 is quite simple. You need a working kernel, able
to load a split-ramdisk from floppy. For the 140, ask the people at
the PReP list, subscribe at
http://lists.solinno.co.uk/listinfo/rs6kpreplinux-users .  You may
also want to subscribe to the more developper's oriented workstation
list, subscribe at http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-workstation/
They are all friendly folk.

Then grab the patched installer ramdisk images at
http://users.linpro.no/ingvar/43p/images/YellowDog/ and install.

For more info, wait for the next version of the howto (covering SuSE,
Mandrake, Debian an YellowDog), or take a sneak peek at the cvs
version at http://users.linpro.no/ingvar/43p/cvs/

Ingvar

--
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you
give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in