Observations

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 16:39:01 2003

--=-hnYaPppxAvV5NGecatDa

I've been using YDL on my 2001 TiBook now for almost a month.  I've made
a couple of observations that I'd like some feedback/confirmation/help
on.

First, my CPU fan seems to run almost constantly.  My CPU is usually
fairly idle and doesn't seem to be running many active threads. This
makes battery life horrible.

Second, Gnome uses a lot of RAM!  As I use Gnome, I see my RAM usage
steadily creeping up until it gets to nearly 95% of usage. (remember, I
have 512mb!)  When I use KDE, it stays around 30-40% usage.  I use the
same applications most of the day. (Xmms, Evolution, OOo, primarily)

Third, I NEVER have seen my 512mb swap file being used.  Does the swap
file only get used when your physical RAM is maxed?

Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning
like crazy.  I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things, but
nothing (that I know of) is running.  Is this indexing or something
going on?

I'm not a Linux expert (yet) so I'm trying to get a better grip on all
that's going on here.  Thanks!!

Sean M. Kelly
=========================
SMKSensei@Mac.com

--=-hnYaPppxAvV5NGecatDa

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I've been using YDL on my 2001 TiBook now for almost a month.&nbsp; I've made a couple of observations that I'd like some feedback/confirmation/help on.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
First, my CPU fan seems to run almost constantly.&nbsp; My CPU is usually fairly idle and doesn't seem to be running many active threads. This makes battery life horrible.<BR>
<BR>
Second, Gnome uses a lot of RAM!&nbsp; As I use Gnome, I see my RAM usage steadily creeping up until it gets to nearly 95% of usage. (remember, I have 512mb!)&nbsp; When I use KDE, it stays around 30-40% usage.&nbsp; I use the same applications most of the day. (Xmms, Evolution, OOo, primarily)<BR>
<BR>
Third, I NEVER have seen my 512mb swap file being used.&nbsp; Does the swap file only get used when your physical RAM is maxed?<BR>
<BR>
Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning like crazy.&nbsp; I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things, but nothing (that I know of) is running.&nbsp; Is this indexing or something going on?<BR>
<BR>
I'm not a Linux expert (yet) so I'm trying to get a better grip on all that's going on here.&nbsp; Thanks!!<BR>
<BR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>
Sean M. Kelly<BR>
<A HREF="mailto:SMKSensei@Mac.com">SMKSensei@Mac.com</A>