Observations

bruce woller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 21:08:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-794974887

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 04:17  PM, S.M.Kelly wrote:

> Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning=20=

> like crazy.=A0 I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things,=20=

> but nothing (that I know of) is running.=A0 Is this indexing or=20
> something going on?

This is probably a cron job running slocate -u.  It is indexing file=20
names.   For those of us who use slocate it is really helpful to have=20
your disk indexed once a day.  If you do a 'ps -aux'  or start 'top' =20
when your disk is thrashing you can probably see which process is=20
causing the commotion.

regards,
bruce

--Apple-Mail-2-794974887

Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning
like crazy.=A0 I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things,
but nothing (that I know of) is running.=A0 Is this indexing or
something going on?

</excerpt>