Observations

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 29 23:13:01 2003

--=-Ye7RP66czVLS/+aH9AKm

Bruce,
Thanks on this point.  I assumed as much but hadn't run top or really
looked into it.  Is there a way to reschedule chron jobs?  It usually
pops up at inconvenient times.

Thanks!

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 23:08, bruce woller wrote:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 04:17  PM, S.M.Kelly wrote:
>

> <excerpt>
>
> Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning
> like crazy.  I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things,
> but nothing (that I know of) is running.  Is this indexing or
> something going on?
>

> </excerpt>
>
> This is probably a cron job running slocate -u.  It is indexing file
> names.   For those of us who use slocate it is really helpful to have
> your disk indexed once a day.  If you do a 'ps -aux'  or start 'top'
> when your disk is thrashing you can probably see which process is
> causing the commotion.
>

> regards,
>
> bruce

--=-Ye7RP66czVLS/+aH9AKm

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Bruce,<BR>
Thanks on this point.&nbsp; I assumed as much but hadn't run top or really looked into it.&nbsp; Is there a way to reschedule chron jobs?&nbsp; It usually pops up at inconvenient times.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Fourth, there are various times I notice my hard drive starts spinning
like crazy.&nbsp; I can hear it clicking away like it's accessing things,
but nothing (that I know of) is running.&nbsp; Is this indexing or
something going on?

&lt;/excerpt&gt;

This is probably a cron job running slocate -u.  It is indexing file
names.   For those of us who use slocate it is really helpful to have
your disk indexed once a day.  If you do a 'ps -aux'  or start 'top'
when your disk is thrashing you can probably see which process is
causing the commotion.

regards,

bruce
</I></FONT></PRE>