CPU Speed on a G4 PowerBook (Titanium)

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 30 15:52:01 2003

Hi.

At 16:06 -0500 on 2003-5-30 John Howland wrote:

 > I would like this machine to run at 1GHz, but I'll settle for
 > 800 MHz.

Edit /proc/cpufreq and change the data in there according to your
tastes, e.g., to

          minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0      1000000 kHz (100 %)  -    1000000 kHz (100 %)  -  performance

The two policies I know of are `performance' and `powersave,' names
say it all; cat then /proc/cpuinfo again and hopefully the clock will
look as you like it.

There seems to be an application that appears to let you do cooler
things (figuratively speaking ;-) ) with the CPU frequency (see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpufreqd/) but I have not tried it.

I also assume that you know about /etc/power/levels and that you set
up that file accordingly (mine reads 1 and 3, i.e., minimum
performance on batteries, maximum performance on external power which
seems the best of the two worlds given that it works very well on AC
and the battery lasts well in excess of 4.5 hours on batteries and
that without too terrible a performance).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.