YDL PPC kernel rebuilt question

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 4 19:10:03 2003

Hello Team,

I have a G5 system from Terra Soft with pre-installed YDL 3.0.1.  I have =
some questions regarding rebuilding new kernel.=20

After rebuilt kernel successfully with command 'make bzImage', I cannot =
find boot image 'bzImage' from linux/arch/ppc/boot.  I found some new =
generated files under linux/arch/ppc/boot/images but none of them looks =
like bootable image.

Now my question is what is the equivalent way to Linux x86 to rebuild =
kernel and reboot from new kernel image under PPC, special for YDL? I =
have YDL 3.01 and linux kernel 2.4.23-pre5 as kernel source and linux =
2.4.23-0.5.0a as pre-installed boot kernel.

In another word, what is the new boot image file name and where is it =
located?  After getting the image file, how do I make it bootable? Just =
doing the same thing as under x86 by copy the file into /boot and change =
lilo.conf (yaboot.conf) and reboot?

Here is what I do under x86 platform:
make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
cp linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
modify /etc/lilo.conf
lilo
reboot with new kernel option.

Is the process of rebuilding kernel and reboot from new kernel different =
under PPC?

Many thanks for the help!

Eddie=20