YDL PPC kernel rebuilt question

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 4 20:59:02 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:09:21PM -0700, yiding_wang@agilent.com wrote:
> Hello Team,

> I have a G5 system from Terra Soft with pre-installed YDL 3.0.1.  I
> have some questions regarding rebuilding new kernel.  After rebuilt
> kernel successfully with command 'make bzImage', I cannot find boot
> image 'bzImage' from linux/arch/ppc/boot.

The use of a compressed kernel image seems to be a x86 linux
feature.  As best I understand for linux on sparc, ppc and alpha you
just build the image (called vmlinux) and not a compressed one.

> Now my question is what is the
> equivalent way to Linux x86 to rebuild kernel and reboot from new
> kernel image under PPC, special for YDL?

For general information on building the kernel on YDL see:

http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

The bootloader you will be using is yaboot and some information is
given on the above url.  If you want more information try:

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering