GUI Installation Problem

Jonathan Metts yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 6 12:04:02 2003

I have used Yellowdog Linux in the past with the 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3
releases, but wasn't able to give 3.0 a shot until now.  Let me first say
that I have never had a problem installing any of the other 3 on my
computer, but 3.0 is causing me a headache.  Here are my computer specs:

533DP G4
1.5 GB RAM
40GB HD (master, first ~23GB partition for Yellowdog Linux 2.3 (boot,
swap, and /; second ~10GB partition for OS 10.2.8 system; third ~5GB
partition is a rescue partition)
60GB HD (slave, entire drive used for OS X /Users)
200GB Firwire Drive (multimedia, etc)
nVidia GeForce 2 32MB
15' Apple LCD (this is where I think the problem might be.  This is the
first version released of the 15'.  There is also a 2001 model, but this
is not that one.  During the other version installations I had to make
sure to choose the right one, because the original 15' LCD is further
down in the list than the 15' 2001 model and 17', etc.)

When I try to start the installation, I boot from the first CD, allow it
to go to the GUI Anaconda Installer.  When it first boots, the Yellowdog
Dog at the top appears to be miscolored severely.  It probes my correct
Video card, and the monitor shows as Apple 15' LCD (but I am unsure if it
is misprobing as the 2001 model), then it starts the installer.  At this
point the screen is scrambled, where I can barely make out the windows.
The entire screen is miscolored and off as if it is a video tape with
very bad tracking.  No mouse movement whatsoever, and what little bit I
can see of the menus can be semi-selected with the keyboard, but I can't
see enough to complete beyond the first selection.

Having failed this way, I decided to try the "install-safe" mode.  The
installation screens, etc come up just fine and I begin my installation
selection process, but I hit another speed bump when I try to do the
partitioning.  Whether I choose Autopartition, Disk Druid, or pdisk, I am
kicked to a dump screen where some kind of error has occured.  At this
point it suggests filing this as a bug, I can either restart or debug.  I
have tried unplugging everything except for the monitor, mouse, keyboard,
and ethernet, but I still get the same results.  I have searched for an
answer to this problem in the mail lists, and everywhere I can think, but
all I have found is that it has happened to other people, but no one has
ever pointed to or suggested a solution.  Anyone have any idea of how I
can get the installation to work?  If I were to redownload the images,
they would still be the 3.0 release, correct?  3.0.1 is an update after a
successful 3.0 install, right?  Any ideas, suggestions, comments, advise,
or criticism is accepted.  Thanks.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Sent 0.000002 seconds ago