unable to connect to Yellow Dog Linux machine through telnet

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 17:46:03 2003

> From: Timothy.Cappiello@gd-ais.com
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:49:57 -0500
>
> Thank you for this information.  I understand the security concerns of using
> Telnet to connect to the computer, however for certain reasons we do require
> it's use.

If you require telnet because e.g. some application knows how to act
as a telnet client but not as an ssh client, you can get the security
benefits of ssh by using its tunneling feature.  For example, if you
connect to the destination machine with

  ssh -fNL 2323:localhost:23 user@host.domain

you can then do

  telnet localhost 2323

on the origin machine and be connected to the destination (assuming
it's running a telnet server) with unprotected telnet traffic only
locally via the loopback interface and not across the net.  You can
pick a port number other than 2323 and if you are unable to specify a
port number to your client you can forward the actual telnet port (23)
but you have to be root on the origin machine to do so.  If you want
to set this all up to be independent of an ssh connection you can use
stunnel instead.

My apologies if this has nothing to do with what you're trying to do
but I thought I'd mention it in case it does.

Ray