Little-endian YDL?

Tom Gall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 23:54:16 2003

On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 03:36 PM, Robert Sanders wrote:

> Hey y'all,
>   First, I hope folks don't mind the cross-post.
>   Has anyone tried, or does anyone have any comments on a
> *little-endian* version
> of YDL?  I believe the PowerPC can operate in both little-endian and
> big-endian modes, and
> I think I've seen reports from gcc of little-endian powerpc builds.
> I'm wondering about this
> because one of the tools we use at work "equates" linux with
> little-endian byte ordering, and
> we have several algorithms that are counting on this ordering.  These
> algorithms have been
> more-or-less hand crafted in fortran and C expecting the x86
> little-endian byte ordering.  I've
> gotten this tool to compile and run nicely under big-endian YDL, but
> haven't had the time
> to try and recode these little-endian required apps for big-endian.

Greetings Rob,

Trying to attempt such a goal would be quite cumbersome. Much more so
then just a little work
on the part of your algorithms.

There would be rebuilding a whole lot of open source software and
clubbing it over the
head to convince that it even tho you've passed powerpc-linux to
configure, you really meant
little endian.

It's just not worth it...

Regards,

Tom

>   I'm not trying to get into a 'big-endian' vice 'little-endian' war,
> just wondering what the YDL
> community thinks of the merits of a YDL little-endian version.  Could
> it work on the various
> PowerPC platforms out there, other porting issues, etc.

Tom Gall - [Embedded] [PPC64 | PPC32] Linux
Peace, Love & Linux                   "Where's the kaboom? There was
Technology Center                       supposed to be an earth
shattering
(w) tom_gall@vnet.ibm.com       kaboom! " -- Marvin Martian
(h) tgall@rochcivictheatre.org