Lost YDL boot

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 20:22:02 2003

On 21/11/2003, at 1:50 PM, Harvey Ussery wrote:

> Thanks so much for reply, Greg. I will give this a try--it looks like
> it could work.
>
>    "Then, the all important step that you may perhaps have forgotten,
> run /usr/sbin/ybin."
>
> I did run ybin after reconfig'g /etc/yaboot, though it didn't seem to
> have much effect. I just issued it as a command:  ybin    --not as
>  /usr/sbin/ybin
> Think that might have been a problem?

No, I just included the path because /usr/sbin isn't in the normal
search path. I use sudo in preference to logging into a console as root
so I'd run:

$ sudo /usr/sbin/ybin

Running as root the path is probably unnecessary.

Maybe try running ybin with the -v flag (verbose mode).  On my iBook,
dual boot YDL and OS9, ybin outputs the following:

$ sudo /usr/sbin/ybin -v
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda10'...
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda9'...
ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto
/dev/hda10...ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
onto /dev/hda10...
ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda10...
ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
ybin: Blessing /dev/hda10 with Holy Penguin Pee...
ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram.