USB hard drive help

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Nov 23 15:44:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-1--1021605087

You need to completely erase the original file system first. Either use=20=

'dd' or the OSX Disk Utility (create a single partition then set it's=20
format to 'free space'. Then use fdisk to create a single FAT16=20
partition on /dev/sda and format it with 'mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1'.

Then create a directory /mnt/usb and mount the disk using:

$ mount -t  vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

You'll probably have to be root to mount the disk. If you want regular=20=

users to be able to mount the drive add something like this to=20
/etc/fstab

/dev/sda1       /usb          vfat    defaults,user,noauto    0       0

On 24/11/2003, at 2:02 AM, Terry Houle wrote:

> I am new to this list and therefore apologize if this topic has=20
> recently been discussed.  I did search the recent archives and found a=20=

> couple things relative to command line but they are not working=20
> properly for me.
> Anyway I have just put  YDL 3.0 on my i Book and desperately want to =20=

> use the USB dongle.  Can anyone point me to a simple way to do it and=20=

> preferably would be with a GUI?
> I spent hours going looking thru the system to find something and no=20=

> luck. I am currently using the KED desktop.  In one spot I found my=20
> USB device listed  and I think it was under info but don=92t recall =
the=20
> exact title.
> Utopia would be  to have it appear on the desktop like in OS X.
>
> Have tried things like:
> [root]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb  and mount -t vfat /dev/sda1=20=

> /mnt/flash/  but since I don=92t know command line am not sure what I =
am=20
> doing.
> Any help or pointers in the right  direction would be greatly=20
> appreciated.
>

> Terry Houle
> using a Mac
> http://houle.us
>
> houle@citilink.com

--Apple-Mail-1--1021605087

You need to completely erase the original file system first. Either
use 'dd' or the OSX Disk Utility (create a single partition then set
it's format to 'free space'. Then use fdisk to create a single FAT16
partition on /dev/sda and format it with 'mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1'.=20

=20

Then create a directory /mnt/usb and mount the disk using:

$ mount -t  vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

You'll probably have to be root to mount the disk. If you want regular
users to be able to mount the drive add something like this to
/etc/fstab

/dev/sda1       /usb          vfat    defaults,user,noauto    0       0

therefore apologize if this topic has recently been discussed.  I did
search the recent archives and found a couple things relative to
command line but they are not working properly for me.=20

Anyway I have just put  YDL 3.0 on my i Book and desperately want to=20
use the USB dongle.  Can anyone point me to a simple way to do it and
preferably would be with a GUI? =20

I spent hours going looking thru the system to find something and no
luck. I am currently using the KED desktop.  In one spot I found my
USB device listed  and I think it was under info but don=92t recall the
exact title. =20

Utopia would be  to have it appear on the desktop like in OS X.

Have tried things like:

[root]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb  and mount -t vfat /dev/sda1
/mnt/flash/  but since I don=92t know command line am not sure what I am
doing.

Any help or pointers in the right  direction would be greatly
appreciated.

</fontfamily>

Terry Houle

using a Mac