XFree86 -configure failure

Duke Robillard yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 25 11:27:03 2003

From: C&G <cg118@mac.com>

>ifferent monitor than before. It's an IBM G74. When x starts, I get
>the "black screen" "signal out of range" deal. So I start up in
>runlevel 3 to a command prompt. When I run XFree86 -configure (as root)
>it fails, saying: "can't find drivers, configure failed"..
>
>So, how do I configure XFree86 to work?
>Do I need to install drivers, if so how?

Fortunately, you don't need drivers, you just need to fix your
XF86Config file.  Inside there, there will be a Monitor section,
like these:

Section "Monitor"
	VendorName	"Gateway"
	ModelName	"VX1110"
	Identifier	"Gateway VX1110"
	HorizSync	31.0-115.0
	VertRefresh	50.0-160.0
EndSection

(Yours will have different values; that's from my Slackware/Athlon box.)

The problem is that the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines are
wrong.  Presumably, they were set for the old monitor.   I Googled
around a little, and found these settings for the IBM G74; you
might give these a shot:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "IBM G74"
	VendorName   "IBM"