YDL 3.0.1 boot from issue.

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 25 11:55:03 2003

Folks,

I have YDL 3.0.1 on G5 system.  Through the help of Terra Soft, I got kernel 2.4.23-0.5.0b kernel image and source and the kernel image can boot now.  Because the source mismatched the boot kernel somewhere, my driver compiled under this kernel source will no load due to a bunch of unresolved symbols.  This is a typical boot kernel and compiled kernel environment mismatch case under linux x86.  So I decided to rebuild the kernel with the kernel source.

Kernel rebuilt OK and new built "vmlinux' and "System.map" are copied to /boot with proper soft linked name.  yaboot.conf is updated with an additional entry of new kernel. ybin was run.

Then reboot with boot option of new boot label.  However, boot stopped at white screen with message:
... ok
opening display /pci@0, f0000000/ATY, SimoneParent@10/ATY, Simone_B@1_

It hung on that screen and never goes to linux boot.

Here is my new entry in yaboot.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.23-050bnew
    root=/dev/sda4
    label=2.4.23-050bnew
    read-only
    append="hda=ide-scsi video=ofonly"

This is in addition to bootable kernel entry "vmlinux-2.4.23-0.5.0b".  Only thing different is missing the line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23-0.5.0b.img" since new built kernel doesn't have that image.

Any help is appreciated!

Eddie