Aw: Thumb Drive

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 27 08:22:02 2003

> require a downloaded driver), Could someone suggest what I should add to
> the /etc/fstab file to get the iMac, iBook, and Redhat PC to recognize
> the drive?

You first must load the usb-storage module to recognise the drive by running (as root) "modprobe usb-storage".

Then create e.g. a folder "/mnt/memstick" and add to your fstab the line

/dev/sda1       /mnt/memstick   auto    noauto,user,exec,nodev,owner    0 0

Note that the usb drive is recognised as a scsi disk... For the options, please see the mount man page. The mem stick can be mounted by any user, but (s)he will be the owner.

You can also load the usb-storage module automagically (without the need to log in as root) using the usbmgr available at http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/usbmgr/. When you insert your mem stick, run (as root again) the command "tail -f /var/log/messages" before. You will see a USB vendor and device id there. Then add to /etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf the lines

vendor vvvv product pppp module scsi_mod , sd_mod , usb-storage

(replace vvvv and pppp by the vendor and device id, respectively), restart usbmgr, and you're done.

Hth,

Albrecht.