openssh 3.7.1p1 needs a patch to compile against openssl-0.9. 7a

Patrick Larkin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 12:02:01 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 01:07 PM, Longman, Bill wrote:

>> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 11:50, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>>> Clint -
>>>
>>> Thanks for the GREAT info.  I suppose this doesn't work if
>> I installed
>>> something myself from source code?  (mysql)
>>
>> No, which is why installing stuff from source quickly becomes a
>> maintenance problem.
>
> The rule of thumb I've been using lately is pretty much like this:
>
> 1 - Libraries and subsystems ALWAYS use packages.
>
> 2 - Standalone, just-for-me or testing apps I'll use source code.
>
> The big problem that RPM's address is the software dependency problem.
> As
> soon as one of your systems becomes depended upon, you are opening
> yourself
> up to a maintenance headache, as Konstantin has stated. With RPM's,
> all that
> work is taken care of for you. When an update comes along, you can
> just use
> RPM to take care of the dependencies and you don't have to mess with
> it.
>
> If you want to compile from source, then get the source RPM and compile
> that. You then have control over how the app is compiled but you get
> the
> added benefits of having the dependencies taken care of, the
> administrivia
> of where the files get installed and the configuration files not
> getting
> zapped.

Thanks.  Any pointers on how I learn about the RPM thing?  I'm old
school I guess.  I only did the compile and install so I could tell it
where to install.  YellowDog's default MySQL install is kind of strange
on where it puts things....

Patrick Larkin
Bethlehem Area School District