openssh 3.7.1p1 needs a patch to compile against openssl-0.9. 7a

Patrick Larkin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 14:41:01 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 04:09 PM, Longman, Bill wrote:

>> Thanks.  Any pointers on how I learn about the RPM thing?  I'm old
>> school I guess.  I only did the compile and install so I
>> could tell it
>> where to install.  YellowDog's default MySQL install is kind
>> of strange
>> on where it puts things....
>
> My free advice would be to get really familiar with compiling code in
> general. Nowadays, you don't have to be a C programmer to get modules
> compile. Look at me! I'm a PHB (pointy-haired boss) and I can do it! I
> can
> kinda see what most C code does but I'm no great C programmer. But I
> do know
> somewhat about compilers, linkers and libraries and dynamic and static
> code.
> And I know what header files do and why you need them.
>
> To get most tarballs compiled, you don't even need to know any of
> this. All
> you do is: ./configure; make; sudo make install. If you've got all the
> needed libraries on your machine, presto, you've just compiled and
> installed
> an application.
>
> Source RPMS are a bit more rigorous but are just about as easy to use.
>
> Here's a bit more detail than you might need:
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/howtos/mdk-rpm/building.html

Installing from source isn't the issue.  I do that now.  (In fact, that
was the reason someone said I was screwed as far as automating an
update.)  It was suggested that I use RPMs which I believe is some sort
of package manager.  As someone had pointed out yum i was hoping for
pointers on installing RPM's.

Patrick Larkin
Bethlehem Area School District