OT: Need some shell scripting hints ;)

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 15:05:00 2003

Hi,

I'm stuck with writing a shell script that is supposed to read a text
file line by line.

My goal is to have some sort of a loop that is passed through once for
every line in my text file and ends after the iteration for the last
line.

Something like:

while [ readTheFile TextFile.txt LineByLine into LINE ]
do
	some stuff with $LINE  # for every line one iteration
done

Anything like:

for LINE in (every line of TextFile.txt)
do
	some stuff with $LINE  # for every line one iteration
done

would do the trick too.

Either it is too late allready, or I can't get the syntax right.
Any help/ideas appreciated,

Alex

--
Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences