working PCI USB cards (and USB 2.0?)

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 2 18:00:01 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:35:46PM -0600, Paul Dorweiler wrote:

> I know both from the web page and experience that the MacAlly USB
> PCI card works, but I was wondering if other vendor's cards will
> work.  Also, would I just be wasting money buying a USB 2.0 card
> (ie. will the kernel not support the 2.0 speed/mode?).

I have a no-name USB 2port PCI card in my 7600/200.  It is an OHCI
compliant card (using the OPTI chip set) and works with no problems
with the USB OHCI kernel modules.  I would expect that any OHCI
compliant card should work since there has been enough time to work
out any bugs.

On the second point there is a kernel module for EHCI (USB 2.0) in the
USB support and it is a loadable module in the standard kernel that
comes with YDL 3.0.  I don't have a USB 2.0 card and have never tested
it.  The first paragraph of comments from the modul help are given
below.  The module is listed as experimental, so it may not work with
all chip sets.

CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD:

The Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) is standard for USB 2.0
"high speed" (480 Mbit/sec, 60 Mbyte/sec) host controller hardware.
If your USB host controller supports USB 2.0, you will likely want to
configure this Host Controller Driver.  At this writing, the primary
implementation of EHCI is a chip from NEC, widely available in add-on
PCI cards, but implementations are in the works from other vendors
including Intel and Philips.  Motherboard support is appearing.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering