Random kernel panics on iBook 700Mhz

Matteo Panella yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 3 07:41:01 2003

This is my first post, so please don't flame!
I 've been using YDL 3.0 on my dual G4 for quite some time now and setup went
flawlessly (except it detected my keyboard as QZERTY instead of QWERTY...).
Now, I used the same cd set to install YDL 3.0 on my iBook 700 and I keep
getting random kernel panics, ranging from "machine check" to even ext3 "access
beyond end of device"...
My setup is:
iBook 12" G3 700Mhz
640 MB RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
28 GB Hard Disk (I can't even partition it, setup sometimes hangs before getting
into X11)
Integrated ethernet, modem, dual USB ports, single Firewire channel.
It shipped with MacOSX 10.2.2 preinstalled and MacOS 9 installed via ASR.
Is it a well-known bug of the shipped kernel (eg. does not work on this setup)
or is my machine broken (I 've been running MacOSX until now without a single
error and the diagnostics software didn't detect any kind of error...)?
Thanks

--
Matteo Panella <morpheus@carmat.it>

I can only show you the door. You are the one who has to walk through it.