OS X 10.2.8 causing problems for YDL 3.0?

Bill Judd yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 3 10:45:01 2003

On Friday, October 03, 2003 Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
>Subject: Re: OS X 10.2.8 causing problems for YDL 3.0?
>
>>  > I installed 10.2.8 on my 2001 Ibook (12") two days ago and have
>>>  had no problems with YDL 3.0 since then.  I've got OS9,OSX and
>>>  YDL on different partitions.
>>>
>>Consider yourself lucky. There are definitely problems with 10.2.8 as Apple
>>pulled the update from its site. I talked to an Apple tech and they have no
>>idea what could be causing the trouble I reported. They advised me to do a
>>complete reinstall (ugh!), and that's what I'm going to do.
>
>Well, my story is that I ran several 10.2.7 beta builds on my iBook
>Nov 2002, and the first 10.2.8 beta build, all perfectly compatible
>with YDL3 booting.
>
>Operation and dual-booting was so trouble-free that as soon as the
>10.2.8 release came out, I installed it (with no obvious problems,
>including no problem with the ethernet, as was widely publicized).
>Then Apple pulled it. I had had no occasion to boot to YDL until I
>saw the note on the web site not to do it (lovely).
>
>So I just tried booting YDL with 10.2.8 installed, and surprise, had
>no problem, EXCEPT:
>
>No networking; YDL will not recognize either my ethernet nor my
>airport interfaces at boot (boot messages show error). ifconfig shows
>the ethernet interface but no network addresses assigned to it. The
>airport interface is missing entirely from ifconfig. Needless to say,
>both were working fine on OSX and YDL, even with the beta 10.2.8
>having been installed.
>
>Anyone else see this with 10.2.8: YDL boot but no network interfaces?
>
>How about Panther - anyone see YDL3 incompatibilities with a Panther
>beta install? I'm jonesin' to get the Panther speed boost anyway,
>just hate that 3-CD segmented download...
>

>Stefan Jeglinski

Like many, I updated to 10.2.8 before hearing the news.  Fortunately, I've had abolutely none of the reported problems running either Max OS X or YDL 3.0 on my G4 laptop.  My machine defaults to Mac OS X and I option-boot to start up YDL.  I'm running YDL right now to compose this posting.  Definately one of the lucky ones.

Best Regards,

Bill Judd

Bill Judd