How do I share DSL from my YD Linux computer?

Chris Gehlker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 7 21:55:01 2003

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 05:50 AM, Clinton C.MacDonald wrote:

> On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 02:58  PM, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>> Have you tried just plugging everything into the hub and confirming
>> that it *doesn't* work.
>
> Well, I tried it briefly, but it is almost certainly worth another
> try. It didn't work the first time, and I convinced myself that it was
> because the DSL modem was programmed not to give out more than one IP
> address. Wouldn't it be great if I were wrong? This might end up being
> the most useful suggestion of all (said with fingers crossed for > luck).
>
> Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions! I will keep you informed.

Well my DSL modem keeps 10.0.0.1 for itself and starts handing out
addresses in the 10.0.0.* range. However, if I set my machines to hard
coded addresses in the 10.0.0.* range the DSL modem copes. So you
really have 2 things to try. See if it will hand  out more than one
address and see if it will work if your various machines just assert
address in the private ranges.