Installing, apt-get, yum, package management, 7300

Andrew Tim yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 9 15:47:01 2003

--0-552020147-1065735962=:46609

Hello there everyone!
    My friend has a Power Macintosh 7300 / 200 (200 MHz) and was complaining that Mac OS 8.6 was just too slow. I suggested that I give a hand installing YellowDog 3.0. I would like to share my experiences with everyone.
1. I went into the TCP/IP control panel and chose to use Ethernet with a manual IP address of 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
2. I went into the TCP/IP control panel of my friend's other, much newer, much nicer Mac and gave it 192.168.0.1 etc. These two machines were connected by Ethernet through a hub.
3. I enabled file sharing for the 2 GB HFS Mac OS 8.6 partition on 192...2.
4. Using Chooser on 192...1 I found 192...2's partition and chose it.
5. I copied all of my friend's important work to a folder on 192...1.
6. I burned all of my friend's important work to a CD using 192...1's burner.
7. Returning to 192...2, I turned it off, opened up the cover and found an internal SCSI hard drive (2 GB), no IDE interfaces, and an empty PCI slot. Hmm...
8. Found out I could buy an IDE interface card (for the PCI slot) and 80 GB IDE hard drive for $300 Canadian. Well maybe some day.
9. I booted the machine with Mac OS 8.5, holding down the "C" key right after the machine was turned on.
10. I re-initialized the hard disk to have two HFS partitions, one 30 MB (yes, MB) and the other filling up the remainder of the 2 GB.
11. I installed Mac OS 8.5 on the second partition (the larger one).
12. I rebooted into this installation to make sure it worked.
13. I copied very minimal System Folder items to the first partition, with the idea that I wanted it to be a minimal system capable of reading CDs and holding BootX.
14. I set the first partition as the startup disk and rebooted into it. What a fast boot!
15. I inserted an MkLinux CD I happened to have (on purpose) and copied BootX from it to the first HFS partition. Why not use BootX from the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1? Well because it's a StuffIt archive! Grr...
16. I removed that CD and inserted the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1. I copied its boot folder's kernels (vmlinux-24.20-8d and ...8dBOOT) to a newly created Linux Kernels folder in the System Folder on the first HFS partition. I also copied this CD's ramdisk.image.gz under images to the System Folder.
17. I ran BootX, chose the 8dBOOT kernel, chose the ramdisk through Options and booted Linux.
18. Great! The graphical anaconda started up and I was on my way.
19. Choosing Disk Druid, I erased the second HFS partition (the big one). I created a 128 MB swap partition and an ext3 partition filling up the remaining space.
20. Just over half way through the package installation process, I received a media error and was told my installation was aborted. Well that's unfortunate. Media error, eh? Ok well I restarted everything, chose all the same options except this time I checked for bad blocks on my swap and ext3 partitions.
21. Just over half way through the packages again I received the same media error. Must be the CDs. But no, inspection hard and soft revealed no defects with the CDs. Well it must be the CD-ROM drive then. What can I do?
22. I restarted everything, didn't bother checking for bad blocks this time and chose a custom installation with minimal packages installed. I also added XFree86 and KDE through the individual packages option.
23. Installation was successful. (This is actually very abbreviated, I tried installing 10 times with different options.)
24. So now I'm in KDE and I'd like to add whatever packages were missing from Personal Desktop package set. I goto look on the Internet for a graphical package manager.
25. KPPP doesn't work! Neither does wvdial! The modem is queried fine on s0. It even dials, it even connects! But pppd itself seems to be having a problem establishing the session. It times out about 60 seconds after I see CONNECT in the log window. Anyway, after much research and testing, I find that giving pppd the option 'local' does the trick. Yay!
26. On the Internet, I find the Synaptic RPM manager. I download it. I use rpm -ivh to install it. Well it's missing dependencies! I track them down one by one on both the YellowDog 3.0 CDs and the internet and install them and their dependencies and their dependencies. Ok, hours later I'm done. *whew*
27. Using Synaptic, I use its CD option and insert the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1. No luck there. Why not? Well I research apt, apt-get, apt-cdrom etc. apt-cdrom tells me that I don't have an apt enabled disc. Really. Well that's unfortunate. Ok so I do more research. I'm thinking maybe yum is the answer. I read about yum and yum-arch and others. It turns out that I can't make a yum OR apt-gettable repository without coping the CDs to my friend's hard drive. There's no hope of that! It's slightly under 2 GB! I read about sources.list and the file:// protocol and future support. Oh well, thinkthinkthink what can I do... Hmm...
28. I copy all three CDs to the other Mac (192...1)'s much larger hard drive in some folder. This machine is running Mac OS 9.2.2 at the command (heh) of its owner so I use Web Sharing to share this YellowDog 3.0 content folder.
29. I restart YD 3 installation on 192...2 without any CD in the drive so it will load the text-based anaconda to begin with. I choose to install from an HTTP source and I select 192...1 with the correct directory. It looks good, downloads updates.img from YellowDog/base but fails on netstg1.img! Why?! I think perhaps it's because I crammed all the RPMS together in one RPMS dir. So I instead insert the YD 3 disc 1 into 192...1 (the new Mac) and web share it. But no! You can't do that because text anaconda requires a directory as well as a server (name or IP) and automatically appends YellowDog at the end. So if you want http://192.168.0.1/YellowDog, no luck for you! Or me, in this case.
    So in summary, I'm stuck with a poor installation. Stuck because:
1. I can't copy the CDs to the hard disk drive. Not enough space.
2. I can't put one of my numerous expendable IDE hard drives with more space in the machine because the 7300 has no IDE interfaces and neither my friend nor I can afford to put an IDE card in the PCI slot.
3. You can't choose where apt tools and yum-arch put their headers for rpm repositories.
4. sources.list doesn't seem to let me use file://
5. YD 3.0 discs aren't apt enabled discs (?? Are they?)
6. Text anaconda automatically appends YellowDog and requires a dir.
7. When web sharing with Mac OS 9.2.2, if you share your partition with the desktop on it, someone cannot browse into the contents of any CD. But if you share the CD itself, text anaconda will want /YellowDog">http://192.168.0.1/<you_must_specify_a_directory>/YellowDog etc...
    I hope my griping doesn't sound like I am anti-YellowDog 3.0, because I'm not. It looks like a lot of effort has gone into it and I would very much like to try it out. I am hoping someone might be able to help me with any of the above plus the following:
1. Does anyone know if I can use anything other than fbdev (the frame-buffer device driver) for this 7300?
2. I can't get sound to work. redhat-config-soundcard says no soundcards detected but MkLinux used sound fine. I even tried the sound tweak in the HOWTOs at www.yellowdoglinux.com to no success.
3. What is rpm --aid for? Is there any way I can install packages with any text tool which will auto-install the dependencies for a package? How about an ncurses-based package manager? I couldn't get ezrpm to compile... If only I could somehow use anaconda either textually or graphically to install additional packages, or package sets.
    I appreciate Terra Soft's efforts and I appreciate the great resource which is this mailing list. My browsing has revealed a strong community in YellowDog and I look forward to any help someone might offer me. Keep up the great work everybody!

--0-552020147-1065735962=:46609

<DIV>Hello there everyone!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My friend has a Power Macintosh 7300 / 200 (200 MHz) and was complaining that Mac OS 8.6 was just too slow. I suggested that I give a hand installing YellowDog 3.0. I would like to share my experiences with everyone.</DIV>
<DIV>1. I went into the TCP/IP control panel and chose to use Ethernet with a manual IP address of 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.</DIV>
<DIV>2. I went into the TCP/IP control panel of my friend's other, much newer, much nicer Mac and gave it 192.168.0.1 etc. These two machines were connected by Ethernet through a hub.</DIV>
<DIV>3. I enabled file sharing for the 2 GB HFS Mac OS 8.6 partition on 192...2.</DIV>
<DIV>4. Using Chooser on 192...1 I found 192...2's partition and chose it.</DIV>
<DIV>5. I copied all of my friend's important work to a folder on 192...1.</DIV>
<DIV>6. I burned all of my friend's important work to a CD using 192...1's burner.</DIV>
<DIV>7. Returning to 192...2, I turned it off, opened up the cover and found an internal SCSI hard drive (2 GB), no IDE interfaces, and an empty PCI slot. Hmm...</DIV>
<DIV>8. Found out I could buy an IDE interface card (for the PCI slot) and 80 GB IDE hard drive for $300 Canadian. Well maybe some day.</DIV>
<DIV>9. I booted the machine with Mac OS 8.5, holding down the "C" key right after the machine was turned on.</DIV>
<DIV>10. I re-initialized the hard disk to have two HFS partitions, one 30 MB (yes, MB) and the other filling up the remainder of the 2 GB.</DIV>
<DIV>11. I installed Mac OS 8.5 on the second partition (the larger one).</DIV>
<DIV>12. I rebooted into this installation to make sure it worked.</DIV>
<DIV>13. I copied very minimal System Folder items to the first partition, with the idea that I wanted it to be a minimal system capable of reading CDs and holding BootX.</DIV>
<DIV>14. I set the first partition as the startup disk and rebooted into it. What a fast boot!</DIV>
<DIV>15. I inserted an MkLinux CD I happened to have (on purpose) and copied BootX from it to the first HFS partition. Why not use BootX from the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1? Well because it's a StuffIt archive! Grr...</DIV>
<DIV>16. I removed that CD and inserted the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1. I copied its boot folder's kernels (vmlinux-24.20-8d and ...8dBOOT) to a newly created Linux Kernels folder in the System Folder on the first HFS partition. I also copied this CD's ramdisk.image.gz under images to the System Folder.</DIV>
<DIV>17. I ran BootX, chose the 8dBOOT kernel, chose the ramdisk through Options and booted Linux.</DIV>
<DIV>18. Great! The graphical anaconda started up and I was on my way.</DIV>
<DIV>19. Choosing Disk Druid, I erased the second HFS partition (the big one). I created a 128 MB swap partition and an ext3 partition filling up the remaining space.</DIV>
<DIV>20. Just over half way through the package installation process, I received a media error and was told my installation was aborted. Well that's unfortunate. Media error, eh? Ok well I restarted everything, chose all the same options except this time I checked for bad blocks on my swap and ext3 partitions.</DIV>
<DIV>21. Just over half way through the packages again I received the same media error. Must be the CDs. But no, inspection hard and soft revealed no defects with the CDs. Well it must be the CD-ROM drive then. What can I do?</DIV>
<DIV>22. I restarted everything, didn't bother checking for bad blocks this time and chose a custom installation with minimal packages installed. I also added XFree86 and KDE through the individual packages option.</DIV>
<DIV>23. Installation was successful. (This is actually very abbreviated, I&nbsp;tried installing 10 times with different options.)</DIV>
<DIV>24. So now I'm in KDE and I'd like to add whatever packages were missing from Personal Desktop package set. I goto look on the Internet for a graphical package manager.</DIV>
<DIV>25. KPPP doesn't work! Neither does wvdial! The modem is queried fine on s0. It even dials, it even connects! But pppd itself seems to be having a problem establishing the session. It times out about 60 seconds after I see CONNECT in the log window. Anyway, after much research and testing, I find that giving pppd the option 'local' does the trick. Yay!</DIV>
<DIV>26. On the Internet, I find the Synaptic RPM manager. I download it. I use rpm -ivh to install it. Well it's missing dependencies! I track them down one by one on both the YellowDog 3.0 CDs and the internet and install them and their dependencies and their dependencies. Ok, hours later I'm done. *whew*</DIV>
<DIV>27. Using Synaptic, I use its CD option and insert the YellowDog 3.0 disc 1. No luck there. Why not? Well I research apt, apt-get, apt-cdrom etc. apt-cdrom tells me that I don't have an apt enabled disc. Really. Well that's unfortunate. Ok so I do more research. I'm thinking maybe yum is the answer. I read about yum and yum-arch and others. It turns out that I can't make a yum OR apt-gettable repository without coping the CDs to my friend's hard drive. There's no hope of that! It's slightly under 2 GB! I read about sources.list and the file:// protocol and future support. Oh well, thinkthinkthink what can I do... Hmm...</DIV>
<DIV>28. I copy all three CDs to the other Mac (192...1)'s much larger hard drive in some folder. This machine is running Mac OS 9.2.2 at the command (heh) of its owner so I use Web Sharing to share this YellowDog 3.0 content folder.</DIV>
<DIV>29. I restart YD 3 installation on 192...2 without any CD in the drive so it will load the text-based anaconda to begin with. I choose to install from an HTTP source and I select 192...1 with the correct directory. It looks good, downloads updates.img from YellowDog/base but fails on netstg1.img! Why?! I think perhaps it's because I crammed all the RPMS together in one RPMS dir. So I instead insert the YD 3 disc 1 into 192...1 (the new Mac) and web share it. But no! You can't do that because text anaconda requires a directory as well as a server (name or IP) and automatically appends YellowDog at the end. So if you want <A href="http://192.168.0.1/YellowDog">http://192.168.0.1/YellowDog</A>, no luck for you! Or me, in this case.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So in summary, I'm stuck with a poor installation. Stuck because:</DIV>
<DIV>1. I can't copy the CDs to the hard disk drive. Not enough space.</DIV>
<DIV>2. I can't put&nbsp;one of my numerous expendable IDE hard drives with more space in the machine because the 7300 has no IDE interfaces and neither my friend nor I can afford to put an IDE card in the PCI slot.</DIV>
<DIV>3. You can't choose where apt tools and yum-arch put their headers for rpm repositories.</DIV>
<DIV>4. sources.list doesn't seem to let me use file://</DIV>
<DIV>5. YD 3.0 discs aren't apt enabled discs (?? Are they?)</DIV>
<DIV>6. Text anaconda automatically appends YellowDog and requires a dir.</DIV>
<DIV>7. When web sharing with Mac OS 9.2.2, if you share your partition with the desktop on it, someone cannot browse into the contents of any CD. But if you share the CD itself, text anaconda will want <A href="http://192.168.0.1/<you_must_specify_a_directory>/YellowDog">http://192.168.0.1/&lt;you_must_specify_a_directory&gt;/YellowDog</A> etc...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope my griping doesn't sound like I am anti-YellowDog 3.0, because I'm not. It looks like a lot of effort has gone into it and I would very much like to try it out. I am hoping someone might be able to help me with any of the above plus the following:</DIV>
<DIV>1. Does anyone know if I can use anything other than fbdev (the frame-buffer device driver) for this 7300?</DIV>
<DIV>2. I can't get sound to work. redhat-config-soundcard says no soundcards detected but MkLinux used sound fine. I even tried the sound tweak in the HOWTOs at <A href="http://www.yellowdoglinux.com">www.yellowdoglinux.com</A>&nbsp;to no success.</DIV>
<DIV>3. What is rpm --aid for? Is there any way I can install packages with any text tool which will auto-install the dependencies for a package? How about an ncurses-based package manager? I couldn't get ezrpm to compile... If only I could somehow use anaconda either textually or graphically to install additional packages, or package sets.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I appreciate Terra Soft's efforts and I appreciate the great resource which is this mailing list. My browsing has revealed a strong community in YellowDog and I look forward to any help someone might offer me. Keep up the great work everybody!</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-552020147-1065735962=:46609--