New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems

Ed McKnight yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 10 13:49:01 2003

>Message: 1
>Subject: Re: New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems
>To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:14:08 +0300 (EEST)
>From: Atro Tossavainen <atro.tossavainen+ydl@helsinki.fi>
>
>Ed,
>

>>The most obnoxious is that there is no video support for the video chip
>>they upgraded to: the ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. I think the older
>>powerbook had the 9000 which has video support.
>>

>It's not just YDL.  It's everybody who uses XFree86, on all platforms.
>
>Support for a whole lot of new Radeons in XFree86 is only in the
>development stage.  You can download a development snapshot of XFree86
>(currently at 4.3.99-14 from today, 10 Oct 2003), compile, replace a
>few files, and it _should_ work.
>
>No sensible Linux distribution should include development snapshots of
>anything.  It follows that Red Hat has often been "not a sensible Linux
>distribution".
>
>Get this 42 megabyte package:
>
>ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/develsnaps/XFree86-4.3.99.14.tar.bz2
>
>Unpack, cd xc, make World, (wait a long time).
>
>Replace /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 with the one you just made, replace
>the contents of the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers directory with
>the new build, and it should Just Work.
>

>>The YDL supported hardware page says this video isn't supported but
>>gives no clue about the future.
>>

>The future is today, but you need to be able to build your own XFree86
>from source, and it is definitely not supported (but should work
>nonetheless).
>

>>Does anyone have any info about whether this chip might ever be
>>supported/have an available driver for Linux (ppc)?
>>

>It will be properly supported in the next stable release of XFree86.
>

>>ATI refers us to our hardware vendors--in this case Apple.
>>

>Surprisingly enough, just about everybody thinks that Linux == x86.

Well, ATI didn't actually refer me to Apple--just to the notebook
manufacturer. In fact, they have links to a few manufacturers
incorporating their chips--and the list doesn't include Apple.

--emk