New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems

Ed McKnight yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 10 18:51:01 2003

Thanks to the pointer from Atro Tossavainen I've compiled and installed
the development XFree86 as described below and now have a recognized
card, but I can't get a usable display.

Relevant bits from my config file:
-------------
Section "Module"
Load "GLcore" #added
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
#Load "fbdevhw" #dropped
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "bitmap #added
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
#Load "ati"
Load "radeon"
#Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-130
VertRefresh 50-160

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x854"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x854"
Modes "1024x768"
Modes "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x854"
EndSubSection
EndSection
------------
I get an almost usable display, and I can switch between the three
modes; all the timings are probed values. I can verify that the timings
being used agree with what appears in the log file. They match exactly
the modelines posted for the older chip.

Can the probes be wrong?

Does anyone have a config file that works with this chip/card?

The Xautoconfig utility wants to set me up with fbdev which bails out
with an error under this chip. Using the new "ati" or "radeon" drivers
gets me much farther but not far enough.

The display reminds me of what I got when specifying the wrong driver
and/or depth when configuring RedHat under Virtual PC. I've tried 8, 16,
24 bit depths here.

thx, --emk