10. Powerbook 12-inch (Sept. '03 model) video (Matthew W. Novak)

Christoph Bosshard yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Oct 12 14:13:01 2003

Hey Matthew

>I'm working from the ISO's available at the ftp.yellowdog
>(yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install1.iso, etc. al.).  The machine in
>question is a 12-inch Powerbook with the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video
>chip (a Sept. '03 PB).
>
>Running "Xautoconfig --safe" at the prompt produced a more
>usable--though still pixilated--shell conforming to a slightly
>off-center 1024x768 desktop.  Working in this shell, I navigated to the
>display properties and autodetected the following the video settings
>(difficult to read, I've reproduced my best guess):

I had the same Problem with my powerbook.
The installer did not recognize the video card as it should.
You need to set the graphic driver manually to "nv" for the Nvidia chipset used in the 12" modell.

This is done as follows:

Open a shell and edit the XF86Config File as root with your favorite editor (in my case joe):

su
joe /etc/X11/XF86Config

Look for the passage Called: Section "Device"
and edit Driver to: Driver "nv"
You can set: DefaultDepth 24

Section "Screen"
Make sure the SubSection "Display"
has the modes "1024x768"
Normally there should be three SubSection s with 8, 16 and 24 bit color depth.

Press Ctrl+K X to save the changes and to close joe.

After startx you should get a reasonable display.  ;-)

Good Luck
Chris