New G4 Powerbook Video (Radeon Mobility 9600) Problems

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 13 03:34:01 2003

Ed,

> The Monitor section was auto-created by YDL3.0 install. I tried dropping
> the top value as you suggested but no joy.
>
> I skimmed the archives on YDL for VertRefresh and found other people
> posting the values below for the G4 Powerbook...

Did you perhaps mean this:

<URL:http://www.jp.netbsd.org/ja/JP/ml/port-powerpc-ja/200212/msg00071.html>

or this:

<URL:http://astcomm.net/pipermail/linux/Week-of-Mon-20030317/002246.html>

the latter of which explicitly says it won't work for your kind of PowerBook.

At any rate, I am fairly sure that the TFT screen on a PowerBook, or
indeed any TFT screen, doesn't go up to 160 Hz.  It certainly won't
hurt to make it right, and it will prevent your PowerBook from trying
to conjure up (some of the) modes that will be impossible to display,
but there probably are other problems as well which are not solved yet.

> The mode is confirmed by the driver (entries in the log file;) the
> modeline itself is generated by the driver/chip.

Please post the entire contents of /var/log/XFree86.0.log after a failed
attempt at starting XFree86.

> I was also handed a pointer to diffs on radeonfb.c in the kernel drivers
> tree. I haven't tried doing anything with it yet because I'm a little
> confused about radeon drivers both in the XF86config and in the kernel
> tree. Does anyone understand the relationship between them?

The kernel frame buffer part is primarily related to the text mode frame
buffer console.  If you use the unaccelerated fb driver with XFree86,
then it is relevant to XFree86 also, but you're not doing that.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.