C Compiler cannot create executables

RON FLORY yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 13 07:13:01 2003

Joris Gillis wrote:
>>Everytime I execute ./configure for any source of any program I get
>>this error "C Compiler cannot create executables". I searched the net
>>for answers, but found none. Some help would be very useful. I'm
>>running YDL 2.3 on a G3.

Somebody else suggested:

 > Make sure you are logged in as root.

  Be careful- it is potentially very dangerous to be logged in as the
'root' user, NEVER do so casually...

  It is more likely that your C compiler, headers, or linker (binutils)
were not installed or cannot be found in the path of the current user.
What do you see when you just type 'gcc' or 'ld' at the command
prompt?

  When building packages from source, you should do so when logged in
as a normal user.  Its too easy to make a mistake, or you might even
have downloaded a malicious ./configure script that could wipe out
your entire system.

  The ONLY part of building packages from source that might require
you be logged in as root is generally the 'make install' portion
(because libs, headers, and man-pages are being copied into
protected directories) performed after successful package
compilation.  In such cases, temporarily login as root with the
'su -' command, 'cd' to the proper directory, perform your
'make install', then type 'exit' to resume life as a normal user...

ron