Installing a second scanner

Isaac Wingfield yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 14 00:14:01 2003

At the time I installed YDL on my G3, there was a UMAX SCSI flatbed scanner
attached to the Mac-- I had been using it for years.

When I got YDL up and running, the GIMP knew all about that scanner, and it
worked fine, via the SANE interface.  I did not do *anything* special to
make that happen.

I have a second SCSI scanner, an old Mictotek, used for slides. the docs
say that SANE supports it. The problem is that the GIMP (and SANE) seem not
to find it.

I've tried a few things that I read about on websites (the Scanner HOWTO
was one), but nothing I've tried causes the scanner to be recognized
*anywhere* in Linux, by any piece of software I've tried.

During the scrolling text that goes by during the boot process, I can see
that the UMAX scanner is found, but for the other one -- nothing.

I know it's really there, because in Mac mode, SCSI Probe finds it just fine.

Now what? I'm a real neophyte at Linux, so I have no idea how to proceed.

Isaac