Firewire and YDL 3.0

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 14 11:10:00 2003

Has anyone out there run into the situation as I describe it here?
I resurrected an internal old 4G IDE HD (the original HD in the Beige
G3 Minitower) and install it into a external housing turning it into
a Firewire drive.  Mac OS 9.2 reads the thing fine, even Mac OS 8.6
reads the Firewire drive without difficulty.

However, pdisk reports the Firewire drive as existing on /dev/sdb;
isn't that reserved for scsi drives?  Doesn't Red Hat Linux know yet
how to distinguish Firewire drives?

As a test I decided to put some files onto the Firewire drive which I
would immediately recognize when viewed from Linux.  When I finally
mounted the drive which pdisk told me was /dev/sdb5, a string of
unknown files appeared along with the following string, - without the
quotes -"Where_are_my _files?"

I thought that was absolutely cute.  It didn't tell me anything, but
I thought it was cute.  If the phrase does have a meaning, by all
means drop a line and let me know; I think Linux was trying to make
sense of something which made no sense to it.

This information is useful in helping me, and probably others keep in
mind just how much a work-in-progress Linux really is.  It will be
interesting to discover what others believe is going on.  Your turn
folks...
--
Light flashing against Sky and Earth.
Thoughts/Swords.