Anyone got a 802.11b PCMCIA card in a new 15" G4 PowerBook?

Duke Robillard yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 15 07:37:02 2003

So, I need a new laptop, and I've decided to get a 15" Powerbook
(from Terrasoft, so I can get it setup as dual-boot with YDL).
Unfortunately, it seems YDL doesn't support the Airport Extreme
in the new 15" Apple G4 Powerbooks yet.  As a stop gap measure,
I'm thinking about putting a third party 802.11b (the 11Mbs one)
PCMCIA card into the slot and using that for now.

Has anyone done that successfully?  Any thoughts about what card
to use?  I'm only medium comfortable as a Linux sysadmin (like,
I can edit XF86Config, but I haven't built a kernel yet), and
this is my first non-x86 Linux experience, so if there's some
card that YDL will auto-detect, I'd buy that one, for sure. :-)

I've searched around the YDL mailing list archives (and other places),
but I haven't really found anything.  I traded some email with one of
the Terrasoft guys, and he suggested I ask here.

(As an aside, I know there are issues with X and the Radeon 9600
in the new 15" Powerbook, but I think that's nearly ready.)

Thanks in Advance,

Duke