yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1113 - 6 msgs

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 15 19:48:01 2003

--=====================_209602212==.ALT

 > How about a search of the archives?  It's been discussed before :)

<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-May/007966.html>http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-May/007966.html

This thread actually talks about upgrading a 2.3 system to a 3.0
one, which is quite different from what I'm asking.

What I want to know is why something like:

   $ mount -t ext2 -o ro,loop ramdisk.image /mnt/ramdisk0
   $ (chroot /mnt/ramdisk0; /sbin/init)

doesn't work.  What do the installer's /sbin/init and /sbin/loader
do, precisely?

At some point, I imagine the install has to boil down to
chroot'ing, doing some mknod'ing, some unzipping and some rpm'ing.

Cheers,
   -- Bob
--=====================_209602212==.ALT

<pre>&gt; How about a search of the archives?&nbsp; It's been discussed
before :)
&gt;
&gt;

</pre>This thread actually talks about upgrading a 2.3 system to a
3.0<br>
one, which is quite different from what I'm asking.<br><br>
What I want to know is why something like:<br><br>
&nbsp; $ mount -t ext2 -o ro,loop ramdisk.image /mnt/ramdisk0<br>
&nbsp; $ (chroot /mnt/ramdisk0; /sbin/init)<br><br>
doesn't work.&nbsp; What do the installer's /sbin/init and
/sbin/loader<br>
do, precisely?<br><br>
At some point, I imagine the install has to boil down to<br>
chroot'ing, doing some mknod'ing, some unzipping and some
rpm'ing.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Cheers,<br>
&nbsp; -- Bob</body>