airport config problem

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 16 15:18:01 2003

    Howard> I'm running an airport (not extreme) in a "clamshell" G3
    Howard> iBook, in yellow dog 3.0. When I run "ifup eth1" it
    Howard> returns "Determining IP information for eth1...  failed"

    Howard> My router/wireless Access Point works and serves DHCP.

    Howard> Any ideas? I've been through several months of archived
    Howard> postings on this and the newbies board after attempting
    Howard> the Yellow Dog basic instructions, but can't determine the
    Howard> problem. In general I've been thrilled with Yellow Dog,
    Howard> and have had perfect results with ethernet config, but no
    Howard> success with 802.11b yet.

    Howard> Here's my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    Howard> ============== NAME=ribald DEVICE=eth1 IPADDR=
    Howard> BOOTPROTO=dhcp ONBOOT=yes NETMASK= GATEWAY= DNS1= DNS2=
    Howard> ESSID="IT" KEY=off

    Howard> Here's output of iwconfig ========================= eth1
    Howard> IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"IT" Nickname:"ribald"
    Howard>      Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point:
    Howard> 44:44:44:44:44:44

Hi,

Here's a noticeable problem. The '44:44...' indicates that your
wireless card is not finding the access point. Until this is solved,
you can forget about DHCP and other IP problems. Things to check (most
of which you can use iwconfig to play with to see if you can get it
working, then try to adjust your global config.):

are you in range?

should it be encrypted?

should the mode be Managed or Ad-Hoc?

should the ESSID be "IT"?
I notice this is in your configuration. Setting it in the config
should work best but as long as there is only one network in range and
the access point broadcasts its ID, you might try setting it to "" and
see what happens.

Is 2.457Ghz correct?
This should work itself out, but it may be worth trying to set
explicitly.

is the rate, 11Mb/s, correct?
Again, should set itself, but I've gotten connections in the past
working by setting this explicitly :} .

hope this helps,
Mike

--