YDL Sirius 3.0 boot shutsdown

Newsman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 23 07:49:01 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 01:03, Newsman wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2003 00:54, Roger WIlbert wrote:
> > I am having trouble with YDL 3.0,  I am attempting to install it on a
> > PowerBook G4 that is dual booted with OS 10.2.7. This is a fresh install
> > of both OSes. I installed OSX first using the the MAC Disk Utility to
> > create 2 partitions and installed OSX on the second partition on the
> > drive. I then installed YDL 3.0 on the first partition (hdc9  not hdc1,
> > hda is the cdrom drive on this laptop) with no problem except that when I
> > boot YDL is shuts down after openpic() exit, ( I believe that is when it
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this ?
> >

> > TIA
>
> Try updating OS X to 10.2.8. If you still have problems, then keep 10.2.8
> and update the YDL kernel to 2.4.22 with the ben2 patch. Both the kernel
> source and ben2 patch can be obtained from kernel.org. I'm running OS X
> 10.2.8 and YDL 3.0 w/ 2.4.22-ben2 kernel and it all works fine.

Just to follow up on my earlier posting. The shutdown problem I experienced
occurred with YDL 3.0 (2.4.20-8d kernel) and the first release of OS X
10.2.8. At that point I reverted to OS X 10.2.6, but the YDL shutdown problem
persisted. YDL tech support speculated that the shutdown problem was most
likely due to the OS X update having changed the firmware in some way. All I
know is that on my laptop (12" Powerbook G4), the combination of the second
release of OS X 10.2.8 (build 6R73) and YDL 3.0 with the 2.4.22-ben2 kernel
works without any problems. Btw, instructions on how to build a custom kernel
are available on the YDL support page.