External floppy drive

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Oct 25 13:05:01 2003

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

>Second suggestion: use a borrowed PC to transfer the floppy files to a CD.
>
>Isaac

Thanks for your response, Isaac. I tried bringing in the floppy files
via a friend's PC. It was a Windows system, and the A drive didn't see
any info at all on the floppies--indeed, it read them as disks that
hadn't even been formatted. I assume that's because they were
formatted/written by a Linux system using the ext filesystem--and the
Win system would be looking for, what, a FAT file system or something,
right? So if I tried using a friend's PC, it wd have to be one loaded
with Linux, not Windows, I'm assuming. That's a possibility, though out
here in the sticks I don't have any close-by "Linux buddies."

Am I missing something here? Is there any way to force the Windows PC to
read the ext file structure, at least enough to be able to attach the
files to an email I could then send to my own box?

--Harvey