installing newer kernel in YDL 3.0, which .config?

Newsman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 27 05:59:01 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 07:18, Richard D. Gill wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have YDL 3.0 running, really great, on an iBook2
> (dual booting OS X). I would like to build a
> newer kernel in order to get hfsplus support.
> Being a relative newbie it would be convenient
> to depart from the .config file used to build
> the kernel supplied by Yellowdog.
>
> In /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8d/config there are a
> number of configuration files. Is one of these
> the actual .config used to build the actually
> installed kernel? If so which...? What is the
> purpose of the others...?
>
> I already tried to build a 2.4.22 kernel departing
> from the configuration file linux-2.4.20-ppc.config
> in the directory I just mentioned. I was unable to
> do "make modules": a lot of errors came up while
> it was processing "char". So either my guess for
> the .config was very wrong or it is not this easy
> at all...
>
> Any comments/advice would be welcome...
>
> Yours
> Richard Gill
> http://www.math.uu.nl/people/gill

First, your question about the kernel configuration file is answered at
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-June/008574.html.
But see the kernel build instructions below.

Second, I recommend using the 2.4.22 kernel source with the ben2 patch (worked
great for me). Both can be downloaded from kernel.org.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/benh/patch-2.4.22-ben2.gz

Extract both files into /usr/src. Change to /usr/src and apply the patch by
typing "patch -p0 < patch-2.4.22-ben2" and proceed with the kernel build by
following the instructions below.

Finally, as far as building a custom kernel is concerned, I would follow the
instructions at
http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml. Those
instructions contain advice on how to set various options in the .config
file.

HTH