MySQL Jumpstart

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 28 16:33:02 2003

    John> I chose to install MySQL when I installed YDL 3.0 from the
    John> CDs, but I couldn't seem to get it running. At first, I
    John> didn't think I had installed it, but when I checked the
    John> install log, there were two lines that read ...

    John> Installing mysql-3.23.54a-4.  Installing
    John> mysql-server-3.23.54a-4.

I believe what your seeing is that the mysql 'service' doesn't start
by default. There are a couple of GUI service editors that will allow
you to have mysqld start automatically, redhat-config-services (run as
root) I think is the current popular one.

As a simple test though, or if you just want to run the server by hand
and you don't need it to start automatically at boot time, you can run
it's startup script with the command '/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start'
run as the root user. There is also a 'stop' and a 'restart' parameter
for the script.

To see if mysqld is currently running, the command, 'ps auxww | grep
mysqld' should give you an output with a line containing something
like '/usr/libexec/mysqld' in it.

e.g.
mysql     3759  0.0  0.6 49440 3156 ?        S    Oct08   0:01 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking

Also, look at the installation instructions at the mysql website.
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html

hope this helps
Mike