MySQL Jumpstart

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 28 20:31:00 2003

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 04:32 PM, John Kebbel wrote:

> [kebbelj@localhost kebbelj]$ mysql
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

The program 'mysql' is the command-line interpreter that accesses a
mysql daemon (i.e., 'mysqld'). This does not work because MySQL is not
running (see below).

> When I try safe_mysqld, I get ...
>
> [kebbelj@localhost kebbelj]$ sudo safe_mysqld
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
> 031028 17:27:47  mysqld ended

Now you have MySQL's daemon running. NOW run 'mysql'. I will say that
you are still not there. You need to create the 'mysql' database which
holds the privileges and user information.

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Post-installation.html for info on how
to setup a newly installed MySQL.

Also, check out http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Automatic_start.html for
info on how to get MySQL to start automagically.

HTH,

Ben Ricker