USB Flash disk

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 30 22:52:01 2003

Finally working, though I've observed some curious things along the way
which some of you may find interesting.

I formatted it as HFS with Disk Utility in OSX 10.3 and wrote some
files to it. I attached it to another OSX machine in the office and
read the files.

Then I formatted it as VFAT on an x86 Debian Linux box and wrote some
files to it and I could read them back on another Linux box.

However, when I attached the freshly reformatted VFAT dongle to an OSX
Mac it found the old HFS partition with the files still intact. Cool
eh?

After a bit more tinkering I've started to suspect there's a bug in the
new Disk Utility in 10.3. I don't think it pays any attention to the
settings you specify when it creates a file system. It goes right ahead
and makes a journaled HFS+ file system with OS9 support enabled. Even
if I select 'erase' and specify 'MSDOS' as the desired file system it
seems to create HFS+.

Fortunately I was able to specify no partitions, 100% free space, after
which I was finally able  to create a VFAT file system using YDL which
I can read/write in both OSX and Linux, which was the whole point of
buying the thing in the first place.

The End.