a simple problem (probably)

sigma957 yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 3 16:51:01 2003

I just recently installed 3.0 on my old Performa 6400/200, and everything
seems fine. I use this machine as a file server over samba on my network. I
saved the smb.conf and lshosts file from my 2.1 installation (which has
been running fine for over 2 years), but now, when I try to ping the box by
hostname (ydlinux), I get an 'uknown host' error from all 3 of my other
machines, though I can ping by ip address.

I can view the machine in my network neighborhood, but if I try to access
it via smb, I receive an error 53: computer name cannot be located.

I've updated the lmhosts, smb.conf, and /etc/hosts files...what else am I
missing....

I just realized that I entered the hostname in all caps during setup (was
lower case before). Could this be a part of the problem (I've tried 'net
view \\YDLINUX' to no avail as well).

Thanks,

Ripstop