White iBook 700Mhz installation problem.

Michael Kalus yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 1 10:42:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 12:29, George H. Yeager wrote:

> I did not have this problem (white iBook 800MHz), although it took me a
> while to figure out that F12 was the release button.  Also, my OS X
> partition is working fine.

Actually the problem in OSX is that it seems to boot fine in safe mode
but hangs itself somewhere along the bootup if you do the full boot. I
was unable to find out why this is happening and all the Apple Gurus I
talked to didn't had an idea either.

What I do know though is that something is wrong with the CDROM drive,
the eject only works when it feels like it and I am going to send a
nasty letter to Apple tomorrow.

> Have you tried the "paper clip" hole to release the CD door (upper right
> hand corner of the door on mine)?  Maybe it will work after the install
> is colmplete?

Yes, I tried that, but if you do it the system doesn't notice that the CD has been ejected and he does not re-read the disc so an install wouldn't be possible.

I found a "workaround" though, I had to put the notebook on it's side and then it ejected fine, it seems to me something is severely screwed up with the CDROM drive and I hope Apple is willing to fix it, there were quite some problems with this book in the past year.

Thanks for the tips though :)

Michael