kudzu and internal modem

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 4 08:49:01 2003

To keep laptops from draining too much battery, the Linux kernel
turns off things like the firewire controller and modem chips
until such devices are actually used.  This makes it hard to auto-detect
like in the case of kudzu. So, what you're seeing is merely a timing
issue whereby sometimes the modem is not detected because its not
powered on.  I've tried to make detection more reliable, but as you've
seen, often its not.  I'm working to improve this.  Bottom line: don't
worry too much about the message. As you have noted, you can still use
the modem.

Regards,
Dan