no sound from gnome cd player or grip

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 4 04:00:01 2003

When I try to play an audio CD with the GNOME CD Player or grip (under
YDL 3.0 on a Wallstreet PowerBook with expansion bay CD/DVD drive),
the CD is recognized and the tracks are identified and the counter
runs, but no sound emanates from the computer.

I did a Google search and found a similar problem reported for YDL
2.0, which was solved by setting the audio input source to the
expansion bay using the MacOS 'Monitors & Sound' control panel before
booting into YDL with BootX.  I tried that but it didn't help.

If I use grip to first rip a track and then play the resulting file,
that works fine, so the problem is not with sound per se.  I also get
sound from xmms, ASCII BEL, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ray