APC UPC + YellowDog Linux?

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 5 05:34:01 2003

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 04:32  AM, Don Montalvo wrote:
> I did a search of the archives and the YellowDog site but I haven't
> been able to find clear, concise instructions on how to set up an APC
> UPS with a Mac running YellowDog Linux.
>
> I live in Manhattan and I'm running YellowDog Linux 2.3 (Apache 1.3.x)
> on a Wallstreet Powerbook (233mhz/384M/6G). I didn't install a GUI
> since it's just functioning as a web server (and I need to keep my CLI
> skills up to snuff).
>
> I purchased two BE725BB APC UPS's:
>
> <http://apcc.com/resource/include/
> techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE725BB&language=en&LOCAL.APCCountryCode=US
> >

> One is protecting my workstation and the second is going to (I hope)
> protect my YDL/Wallstreet server. I wouldn't worry so much if the
> built in battery in the darned thing worked...but I can't afford to
> get a replacement Wallstreet battery and I'd much rather get this APC
> UPS working.
>
> Anyone been able to get this to work? I have a simple home
> network...no SNMP here. Just a dinky YDL/Wallstreet webserver that
> died when the lights went out.

I have had an incredibly easy time setting up APC UPSs on my linux
boxes, but they were all with Back-UPS Pros and serial ports.  nut and
apcupsd are two packages which will work.

I had a client who plugged a server (AMD 1GHz, .5Gb RAM, 7 ATAPI HDD)
into one like this.  It was rated to handle the wattage of the PS and
gave a runtime (on paper) of about 3min.  The reality was that when the
UPS lost power and kicked over to battery it would power-starve the
server and it would reboot.  Highly annoying, as every time the voltage
would drop, the UPS would kick over to battery power.  So rather than
having a temporary brown-down that the PS could have smoothed out for
the internals, it would reboot.  The opposite of what we want UPSs for
:)

I'm not saying those ESs won't work for your application, as your
systems might well be smaller, but I firmly believe that the extra $$
for the Back-UPS (Pro) is worth it.  Just MHO, I'm not connected w/ APC
in any way.

-Michael